Monday, November 3, 2008

Star Gazing

Saturday evening we took the kids to Bill Sadowski Park. Every Saturday night at 8:00 PM the Southern Cross Astronomical Society sets up their high-powered telescopes and let spectators take a close look at the heavens. It was so tranquil and beautiful. We were able to take a close look at the moon. Have you ever done that? It's so mesmerizing. I could've sat there the whole night analyzing it's brightness and it's craters. We saw Jupiter and some of it's moons. After a while, I just sat on the ground and took it all in. The cool breeze, the crickets chirping, the silhouette of the treetops reaching towards the sky and I felt so small. I know, I was probably a hippie in a previous life, but damn . . . it was grand. If you've never done something like that, I highly recommend you do. Obviously I couldn't really take pictures at this outing but I can tell you, it was well worth the trip. I'm hoping there's something like this in Georgia. If not, I know what's going on my Christmas list.

No comments: